Friday, August 26, 2011

Polenta is Not Cheese..........

I have been checking out cookbooks at the library, and looking online, and through magazines..........
            Cooking really isn't that easy, or really that fun (so far), but I HAVE to do it.   For starters, I have found that Rachael Ray, while slightly irritating, has the best, fastest, and cheapest ideas.  Trying to plan ahead, I sat down today, with Rachael, and the weekly adds (and coupons) to decide what to buy for dinner.  I found a picture that looked really good, and made my grocery list with the ingredients.  That being said, DO NOT go to the store and spend hours in the cheese aisle.  It may surprise you, but polenta is not a cheese.  Actually it is an entirely new scientific element that is strong enough to survive atomic bombing and is a gruel/mush/mash/weirdness-type consistency.  It also does not appear to be completely gluten free-but I am checking into that-  It also doesn't really appear to be good (isn't gruel in really unnerving fairy tales like those found in Brother's Grimm?), but I am going to trust my new friend Rachel.  I will post more on that as I actually have to cook with it this week.  However, in my time within the cheese aisle, I found a cheese called "Drunken Goat Cheese," which begs all kinds of questions (was the goat really drunk?  was the goat-milking-maid drunk?  was it a maid at all?  if the goat was drunk, how did he (oops, she) get drunk? and further, who decided that the cheese made from a goat that was either drunk, or milked by someone drunk, would make good cheese?).


            In other news of misadventure (not related to the cheese aisle), I embarked on my sewing career.  I will post pictures on that tomorrow, as I reveal the mishap of sewing an American Girl Doll outfit with a child's sewing machine that I received when I was nine for Christmas.  Unfortunately, the sewing machine had lost some parts since I was nine, and no longer functioned.  The AGD outfit was also required, by a small blonde girl with attitude, that it match her outfit for school pictures.  Again, I ask myself why I thought this was a good idea.  But, more fortunate, was the phone call from my dear friend Beth, who has a Singer sewing machine she is going to give me, as well as willing to give me lessons on how to not sew my fingers together!

            For those who completely understand my struggles, and who also are ardent escapists, I am going to start reviewing fiction, as I attempt to convert more individuals into escapism.  It may have to be an altogether separate blog, but I will let you know (so you can indulge in some paranormal/fantasy/adventure/every male character looks like Vin Diesel or Jax or Erik Northman or......./and gives up his very existence to win over the strong, independent female character/romance).

            Now I must respond to some student emails.  The beginning of the semester is always interesting, especially of the online variety.  Fortunately, I have not received any emails written in elvish this semester- things are looking up!  I am always fascinated by students and what they think will dazzle their professors.  Elvish, surprisingly, is not one of them.  I also wonder if students assume that an online professor (while I also teach at the school) is a basement dweller who grades papers when not participating in Dungeons and Dragons, or World of Warcraft.  I might have to post a picture of myself, just so everyone knows I do not prance around in a corset top, wielding a sword with fake fangs- at least not ALL the time.


1 comment: